Props
The Unseen Field of Pure Potential is inextricably
who I am. This is not to say that my physical, smaller self is The Field; I am
saying, instead, that my self arose out of this field and is entangled with it.
When you have seen me, you have seen The Field.
It would be easy to be mistaken if ever you’ve taken anyone
to be The Field, without considering the fact that that individual is not
isolated inside their physical body. “No man is an island.” — John Donne
From my perspective, other characters in this incredible
drama are here and there and everywhere. But as we each attempt to stake a
claim upon the landscape of Life itself, we find that it is communal property,
jointly shared by all beings. How foolish it would be for me to tell my
neighbor that he must not breathe my air.
Like the air we breathe, and The Life we enjoy, The Field of
Potential is not something I could ever take for myself and keep. Trying to
bank The Goodness of God is like picking your favorite breath and holding it.
It is not that we must choose to share The Goodness of God;
supposing that we have a choice is the original sin.
I sometimes find myself wanting something which is not
presently a part of my scene. However, everything, on every stage, is only a
prop. The word “prop” is short for property, and it originally meant “a
peculiarity of a character.” In this sense, having a billion dollars is no more
distinguishing than parting one’s hair on the right. As Job said, “Naked came I
out of my mother's womb, and naked shall I return thither.”
Right before he said this, the Bible says that Job shredded
his clothes and shaved his head.
When considering other players, it is not so easy to see
that they do not come to an abrupt end where their outermost layer of skin
meets with the earth’s atmosphere. But when I think of myself, it is not very
difficult for me to think that I have a body among other things. As an
extension of my body, I choose clothing with a similar shape and contour. As
soon as I put on my clothing, I would point to my outfitted body to signify who
I am
However, I come up against awareness, and I find that there
is no such thing as an awarehouse. You see, when I think of you, I imagine you
to be a part of my objectified world, but subjectively speaking, all phenomena
is as much a part of who I am as my clothing and my thigh bone. The problem
arises when I try to discover the border between my subjectivity and my
objectivity. I could have stopped with my layers of muscle, but I wanted to
include my flesh; and so as not to be embarrassed, I would like to include my
clothes.
I consider myself locally, and I look up at the sky and feel
that my perception of the sky is mine in the way my body is mine. Upon closer
inspection, I see that only the information about the sky is mine, but that
information is not classified.
This is usually where I train my attention to my thoughts
and I finally say to myself, “There you are.”
And then I am reminded that I did not make up those words. I
have tried to develop a single thought without the use of words and images I’ve
borrowed from the Universal World, and I cannot do it.
So I turn to desire. Surely no one could ever know what I
desire.
And then I realize that any desire I thought was mine is
somehow entangled with something other than myself.
Here is the conclusion of the matter: one can go mad, trying
to discover uniqueness, or one could be at peace, knowing we are all One.

Comments
Post a Comment